Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Find a Penny

I have a friend who says that he likes to pick up pennies heads-up: good luck. But even if he sees a penny heads-down, he doesn't leave it alone:
"If I'm feeling especially brave, I will turn the penny over, so the next person to find it will find it heads-up. And technically I haven't picked it up, you know..."

I saw a tails-up penny this morning and turned it over. A simple act just made my morning complete! I had a binge-free day yesterday, and this gives me so much confidence. Confidence and the faculty to see the little pennies in my day.

Superstitions can be very powerful, I think. They can give us a feeling invincibility or a feeling of hopelessness. Yet, I find it to be very amusing and self-empowering to figure out my ways of dodging the bad and sneaking in some good (even if not directly for you but for someone else).

I will relish, if only for this simple, calm moment, the joy of feeling like I have done something anonymously kind for someone else...and humorous. Even if the rest of this day is hard on me, this morning was not empty of some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment